Talking with your Partners about Sex
When it comes to sex, communication is key, even if you’re not sexually active. Talking about sexually transmitted infections (STIs), birth control, sexual expectations, and personal boundaries can keep you healthy, happy, and safe.
To make things easier, it helps to have ideas about what to discuss:
- Define your own meaning of sex and abstinence.
- Practice what you want to say.
- Find somewhere to talk where both you and your partner feel safe
- Learn about your partner’s sexual history, and find out about any drug use (STIs can also be transmitted by use of needles). Also, be honest about your own past.
- Talk about safer sex options and using protection.
- Remember- just because you had the talk does not mean you have to have sex.