Yes, it is available at both our Boulder and Longmont locations!
Let’s talk a little bit about what the vaginal ring, or Nuvaring, is and how it works.
The birth control ring, or Nuvaring, is a hormonal birth control method used to effectively prevent pregnancy. The hormones prevent ovulation – the process when the ovaries release an egg – and thicken cervical mucus.
With that being said, the Nuvaring will be 92-99% effective in preventing pregnancy. When someone is using the ring as their birth control, they will only have to worry about taking it once a month! To use the Nuvaring, someone will take the ring and insert it into the vagina. Once the ring is in place, that’s where it will stay for three weeks. Once the third week is up, that person will remove the ring and leave it out for 1 week. At that time, that person will have their period. After that fourth week is up, a new ring will be inserted, starting the process over again.
When someone starts a new hormonal method of birth control (like the ring), they need to use a back up method (like condoms or practicing abstinence) for one week before that method will be effective. After that first week, the hormones will be integrated into the body and can help prevent pregnancy up to 99% when taken correctly.
The ring is just one of many birth control options we offer at either the Boulder or Longmont locations.
Other methods that we offer at Teen Clinic that someone could use to effectively prevent pregnancy are:
- Abstinence– abstaining from oral, vaginal, and anal sex is the only way to prevent unplanned pregnancy and STIs 100% of the time
- Condoms, etc.– Male (external) condoms, female (internal) condoms, and dental dams help to reduce your risk of unplanned pregnancy and STIs
- Birth Control Pills (estrogen, progesterone, and a combination of both)- take every day at the same time
- Birth Control Patch (Ortho Evra)- change every week
- Birth Control Ring (Nuvaring)- change every month
- Birth Control Shot (Depo Provera)- receive every 3 months
- Birth Control Implant (Nexplanon)- effective for 3 years
- Intrauterine Device/IUD Hormonal (Mirena)-effective for 5 years
- Intrauterine Device/IUD Non-hormonal (Paragard)- effective for 10 years
If you have any additional questions or want to make an appointment at Teen Clinic, give us a call at 303-442-5160.